Tamil Nadu, the Second largest economy in India is essentially an agricultural state. The image shows the soil moisture map for Tamil Nadu state for 22-Jan-2018. As it can be inferred from the map that, districts Pudukottai, Dindigul, Theni, Madurai etc have less soil moisture.
The map is prepared by merging data from multiple satellites using the vikleda algorithm.
Some of the applications where soil moisture is useful are:
- Optimal irrigation in farms
- Identify areas being over-irrigated
- Improved flood risk estimation
- Monitor agricultural drought in near real time
- Improved weather forecast
- Analyse the impact of an irrigation project
- Identify the irrigated area by an irrigation source
- Automatic billing of farm based on the actual irrigation
- Estimation of actual evapotranspiration taking place
- Estimation of area getting degraded
To watch your region in real time, please check our app VATI.